Date: April 30, 2017
Title: Amazing Grace, Part 3
Text: Matthew 6:9-15 (HCSB)
Pastor John Black
I. What is forgiveness?
When we strive against all thoughts of revenge; when we will not do our enemies harm, but wish them well, grieve at their misfortunes, pray for them, seek reconciliation with them, and show ourselves ready on all occasions to help them. (Thomas Watson, Body of Divinity)
II. What does Biblical forgiveness in my life look like?
Forgiveness is not ….
- The absence of anger at the sin
- Removing the consequences from the sin
- Forgetting what happened
- Resuming a relationship without change
Forgiveness is …
- Releasing my “right” to get even
- Responding to evil with good
III. Why should I forgive someone who has hurt me?
- Bitterness and defiling others is the alternative
- It gives evidence to the authenticity of my salvation
- God has forgiven me, and He expects me to forgive others
IV. How can I forgive someone who has hurt me?
It is easier to act our way into feeling than to feel our way into acting.
- Pray for them
- Let it go